With the Self-Assessment deadline looming, we’ve put together some of the previous excuses HMRC have received for missing the deadline. These are all real excuses HMRC have received.
1. My mother-in-law is a witch and put a curse on me.
2. I’m too short to reach the post box.
3. I was just too busy – my first maid left, my second maid stole from me and my third maid was very slow to learn.
4. Our junior member of staff registered our client in Self-Assessment by mistake because they were not wearing their glasses.
5. My boiler had broken and my fingers were too cold to type.
To your surprise, none of the above excuses were accepted by HMRC..
The deadline for submitting Self-Assessment tax returns and paying any liabilities is 31st January 2019.