top of page

What expenses can I claim as a landlord?

Reduce your tax bill as a landlord by claiming the expenses of running and maintaining your property. Here are some examples of allowable expenses you can claim:

  • Water Rates

  • Council Tax

  • Gas

  • Electricity

  • Landlord Insurance

  • Wages of gardeners and cleaners (based on rental agreement)

  • Letting agents' fees

  • Ground rents and service charges

  • Accountants fees

These expenses should be wholly and exclusively as a result of renting out your property.

Where only part of the expense meets this condition, you can deduct that part from your income - for example, the cost of lighting and heating a property which is partly used for private purposes as well as renting.

If you let only part of your home or let it out for only part of the year, you have to apportion your expenses.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page